Clear aligners are an orthodontic treatment that works to straighten teeth by wearing a series of custom-made, removable plastic aligners for a designated amount of time.
Clear Aligners in Copiague, NY
Clear aligners are an increasingly popular way to straighten your teeth without the need for wires, brackets, or elastics. Made from medical-grade plastic, these trays gradually shift your teeth over time and can be removed for eating and cleaning. This makes the orthodontic process more comfortable for patients.
Using clear aligners are a great alternative to traditional braces, as they can provide faster results with less discomfort. Unlike traditional braces, clear aligners do not require brackets or wires, which means no more sore spots throughout the mouth. To determine if clear aligners are the right solution for you, our doctors will perform an initial visit and consultation, which includes photos, x-rays, and 3D digital scans of your teeth.
Once all the preparatory work is finished, you will be provided with a series of trays that come with specific instructions for wearing. You will typically need to wear each tray for two to three weeks before moving onto the next. Since clear aligners can be taken out, it is important to be consistent with wearing them in order to achieve the desired results. Clear aligners are most suitable for older teenagers and adults who are willing to stay committed to the process.
How long is the treatment period for clear aligners?
Treatment times using clear aligners can vary based on the severity of the dental issue being corrected and your dentist’s advice. Usually, treatment falls into three categories:
- A six-month timeframe if minimal treatment is required, i.e., correctly minor alignment issues.
- A 12-month treatment if the treatment is a little more extensive and will require more time to correct.
- An unlimited timeframe where the patient is provided as many aligners and needed to fully correct the issue.
Clear aligners vs. braces—what's the difference?
There are many differences between clear aligners and braces, we’ve listed some of the largest ones here. Ultimately, the decision is up to you, but the introduction of clear aligners to the market introduced a more efficient, less painful way to straighten teeth.
- Materials. Clear aligners use clear transparent plastic, while braces use wires and brackets.
- Removability. Clear aligners can be removed by the user at any time, while braces can only be removed by a professional.
- Food Restrictions. Clear aligners allow a user to eat whatever they would like and not make changes to their oral care practices, while braces restrict what the user can safely eat and require special maintenance and care.
- Injury Risks. Clear aligners do not present any injury risks, while braces can lead to cuts and other injuries.
- Visibility. Clear aligners are nearly impossible for others to notice, while braces are almost impossible to miss.
What are the advantages of clear aligners?
Clear aligners are a great option for most people. However, they may not be suitable for those with more extensive orthodontic cases that require significant movement of the teeth. Additionally, some people may choose to go with fixed braces instead of clear aligners, as there is no risk of losing them.
Clear aligners are a great option for:
- Invisibly straightening your teeth
- Allow you to eat foods that are “off-limits” with traditional braces
- Making cleaning and brushing your teeth easy
Interested in Clear Aligners?
If you have any questions about clear aligners or for an appointment—contact us today.